Welcome Fellow Riders!
The Crack O' Dawn (COD) Riders invite you to join us on our daily rides.
We leave every week day at 5:45am, and at other times on weekends. We obey two simple rules. First, "Be there [on time] or ride alone" and, second, always wear a helmet. Safety of the group is paramount. Rides start promptly at 5:45am. There is always a ride, weather permitting. It may be anywhere from 2 - 60+ riders of varying abilities. Everyone is welcome! These are fitness rides, so the pace is often brisk. Typically, they are "no drop" rides, and we have designated places to regroup.
There are several "standard" rides each week day and on weekends.
- On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday (MWF), the ride leaves from Newton City Hall (NCH) Commonwealth Avenue side, at 5:45am and heads west through Weston Center (about 6:05am). The standard ride is about 25 miles from NCH. A racing group that evolved from COD, 545 Velo, typically goes very fast for the whole ride, but there are likely to be others who proceed at a more moderate pace.
- On Tuesday and Thursday (TU/TH) (and often on other days when plans allow), a ride leaves from Weston Center (WC) at 5:45. There are three variations of this ride, Regular (15 miles), Medium (20 miles) and Long (25 miles). The MacGregors, a sub-group of COD (long story!), coordinate this ride.
- On TU/TH, a ride also leaves from Cutler Park on Kendrick Street. Typically this ride is broken up into three paces - A, B, and C group depending on attendance. Riders go out according to their expected/desired speed.
- On MWF, a ride also leaves from PTC adjacent to Cutler Park on Kendrick Street. This ride is the same route as the TU/TH Cutler Park ride. This group ride is typically slower than the one that leaves from NCH on MWF.
- On Saturday, there is a warm-up ride at moderate pace from NCH through WC, leaving NCH at 7:00am, passing through WC about 7:25am and Wellesley Hills (7:50am) with a coffee stop at either the Starbucks Newton Lower Falls or at the Needham Panera Bread on Highland Avenue. After coffee, the group typically meets other riders at 8:30am at Nahanton Park 384 Nahanton Street for the Saturday Morning Fitness Ride (f/k/a "the CRW Saturday Morning Fitness Ride"). At Nahanton Park, there are many rides of varying abilities and choices of distances, e.g., 19, 28, 33, 42, etc. The distances of these rides are self-explanatory, and the route is marked with a white upside down "T".
- On almost every Sunday, we leave from the Waban Starbucks on Beacon Street at 7:00am for a ride that goes to the Nashoba Brook Bakery in West Concord. There are additional routes from there, e.g., the Concord-Carlisle loop (same as the Charlie Baker Time Trial route). Typically on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, we get word via the Grand Derailleur that this Sunday ride will start at 8:00am for the winter, returning to 7:00am, sometime in the spring.
If you want to be sure what is happening on Saturday or Sunday, join our email
list. There are often multiple other rides posted.
To join our email list, send your request to the email list. You must mention the name of at least one COD rider who knows you. It is a
closed email list so it gets no spam, but there are often frequent emails about equipment/maintenance, etiquette, for sale bike equipment, safety and road conditions, promotion of cycling, among other related topics. If you do not mention one rider in your email request, you can not join the list. If you do not know anyone in the group, come out on a ride and meet us.
"All humans realize they are loved when witnessing the dawn: early morning is the triumph of good over evil. Absolved by light we decide to go on."